Taking the social media world by storm, the hot, new social platform to join is Pinterest. Rivaling Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr, Pinterest users are attracted to the site because its based off self-expression and visual appeal. Users are able to discover new things (photos and videos) and then share the content with others.
Surprisingly, Pinterest was created over two years ago, but suddenly gained momentum and was named one of the top ten social networks in December. With the number of users rising, this social site must be examined for its ability to be utilized by marketers and brands everywhere.
How it works
According to the website, “Pinterest lets you organize and share the beautiful things on the web.” Essentially, the site is a digital bulletin board where users can share their tastes and interests with others. Before we go any further, here is some essential Pinterest vocabulary everyone ought to know:
Pin: A pin is an image added to Pinterest. You can add images from another website or upload your own personal images. Every pin links back to the site it came from.
Board: A Board is a collection of pins. Each user can have multiple boards, with each pertaining to a certain topic. Examples include Recipes for Dinner, Wish list, Travel Destinations, etc. The amount of pins you can add to a board is unlimited.
Repin: When you come across an image you like while browsing Pinterest, you can add that to your own board (also known as repinning). Not only will the original user who pinned the image be recognized, but also the repin will always contain the source-link of the image.
Pinners: Pinterest users.
How brands are doing it right
Pinterest is making an impact in social media because it of its highly visual and aesthetic nature. Users are inspired by the beautiful photos they find and so they share it with others. Therefore, brands must realize that they are joining this social site to better their consumer relationships, not increase revenue. If you regard this social platform as a ROI opportunity, you’re assuming the wrong position. Instead, allow your brand to showcase its personality and core values. You want users to feel like they’re getting a behind the scenes insight into your brand. By putting a face to your brand, the personality will shine through. Here are some of our favorite brands on Pinterest:
Did you notice that the brands weren’t trying to push their products on users? Pin etiquette declares that Pinterest should not be a space for self-promotion. Instead, use this platform to share more about your brand. Always remember to stick to the 70/30 rule. Only 30% of your content should be brand content and the other 70% should be a reflection of your brand’s personality and inspiration. Keeping this rule and the above tips in mind, every brand has the opportunity to build a community and following on Pinterest.
Why Pinterest should be in a marketer’s toolbox
Most marketers cringe at the thought of another social media platform. Just when they were starting to get in the rhythm of mastering social platforms, another social medium emerges. Now, marketers must scramble to identify how they’re going to incorporate this site into their marketing plans. Take a deep breath and relax, because this site is already working in your favor. While Pinterest tends to benefit specific industries such as home décor, weddings, fashion, food, travel, entertainment, etc. this shouldn’t stop your brand from finding a creative way to make a presence. Utilizing Pinterest as a marketing tool is still a relatively new idea, so you can push boundaries to achieve success. Just remember the fundamental idea: Pinterest allows your brand to share content with others and connect with consumers on a personal level. Take this unique opportunity to infuse your brand’s personality into your Pinterest boards. By doing so, you’ll tackle the very premise of social media: sharing content with others and building a community.